Developing Sustainable Destinations for a New Generation
The world's leading sustainability benchmarking and performance improvement framework for destinations and the visitor economy
A Changing Demographic...
- 61% want to travel more sustainably
- 96% of event professionals consider sustainability important
- 97% of event organizers are implementing sustainability practices
We Can Help Your Destination Score High in Sustainability
We conduct a 3rd-party evaluation of destination's Environmental, Social, Supplier and Destination Management performance. This benchmark serves to rank global destinations based on their sustainability performance, allows us to collect best practices, and stimulates healthy competition.
Following the benchmark, destinations receive a detailed analysis of their benchmarking performance. This is supported by specific recommendations to improve their sustainability strategy, policy and initiatives; and contains best practices from other destinations for inspiration.
Aside of receiving recommendations on what to do to improve their sustainability performance, destinations often opt to receive more support on their journey towards regenerative leisure and business tourism. We have worked with national tourism boards, regions, megacities, and small cities.
The process of measuring, assessing, and consulting, is incomplete without effective communication. We play an active role in promoting the best practices and success stories from member destinations. By elevating innovations for regeneration, we are seeking to engage and inspire the tourism and events industry to take action.
The Global Destination Sustainability Index Advantage
- Benchmark your destination to drive better decision making.
- Gain expert advice to improve strategy.
- Generate collaboration and innovation within a destination.
- Receive a trusted third party endorsement.
- Promote your destination's sustainability story.
- Save money and time - we know what is necessary to become a sustainable and regenerative destination.
Edmonton is the first city in western Canada to join the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index), alongside Montreal and Toronto, to be benchmarked for responsible and regenerative tourism.
For more information contact Alexis Kereluk at: